There are several indicators that your indoor humidity levels are causing mold growth. If you experience one or several of these indicators on a constant basis in your home, office or school, it's most likely that you have a moisture issue:
Foggy condensation on the windows. Windows can be fogging for two main reasons, one of those can be that the seal on the window has broken. In this case, you will see fog "INSIDE" the two window panes. However, if the condensation is on the inside of the window, you need to do more discovery inside the home to discover the cause of the moisture intrusion. The 2nd one is more serious because this is the one that will grow hidden mold.
Mildew-like smell, especially on fabrics. Not ALL molds smell. In fact, some of the most dangerous molds have "no smell" whatsoever. But if you do smell a musty type of odor, be sure that you definitely have a humidity issue fueling mold growth that is releasing mycotoxin and VOC's that you are smelling.
Spots of mold growing on the walls. You'd think this would be the most obvious to people, however with the hundreds of clients I see every year you'd be surprised that people literally aren't alarmed by small mold growth or even large mold colonies more than a 5 ft. radius. It's pretty astonishing how little people know about the dangers of mold.
Materials like wood or stucco easily crumble. The common myth about crumbling wood or stucco is that it's just blown off as "wood rot" or "stucco rot". It's not taken as serious as it should be. If that particular spot was sampled and evaluated in an accredited lab, people would find more toxicity exists than they thought.
Floorboard Signs. Wood and even MDF floorboards are particularly reactive to changing humidity levels. If your home is dry and the humidity is controlled, the floorboards for the most part, will stay flat and flush against the wall and be nice and smooth. If floorboards are swollen, separated, cracked, stained, or coming loose, this could be potentially an age issue -- or it could possibly be a signal that you need to do more inspection for a moisture issue.
Paint chips off of the wall easily. When you see buckling in the paint, it's a clue that moisture is penetrating the drywall "behind" the paint itself.
Intense allergies. Mold "allergic reactions" can include: burning eyes, sneezing, itching face or skin, runny nose/itchy nose/stuffy nose, draining sinuses, dizziness, off balance, ear infections, gook in your eyes, sore throat, lingering cough, skin rashes and more......
Excessive moisture bugs. Some bugs are dependent on moisture for survival. Some of these bugs can live in the house if they find sufficient humidity and food. Silverfish, Termites, Earwigs, Mosquitos, Springtails, Spiders, Drain flies, Cockroaches, Ants, Dust Mites, Book Lice, Fungus Gnats, Mold Mites, Pill Bugs, Centipedes, Millipedes, Crickets, Scorpians, Pseudoscorpians, Bed Bugs, Stink Bugs, Slugs and Flees.
Difficulty sleeping. Waking up frequently, agitation during sleep, heart palpitations, sleep apnea, difficulty falling asleep, difficulty waking up in the mornings or you feel like you've never slept.
Food left out goes bad quickly. Fruits, Vegetables or Breads seem to show signs of going bad or visible mold on them quickly within days.
Is mold making you sick? Put the effects of Toxic Mold behind you!!
Do you think you might have mold in your home, place of business or school? Are you or someone you love suffering from an unknown illness that doctors can't diagnose? Is mold making you sick? Go to our Step by Step and start Surviving Toxic Mold.
Join 10,000k others who have dealt with toxic mold or are still seeking information to help them fight the battle against toxic mold. Follow us!
We have questions and answers from the website that take place everyday on our Facebook group. Join us on our Facebook group by clicking on the Facebook button below.
We are not doctors or licensed practitioners. The advice or suggestions given in the entirety of this website are for informational purposes only. Please consult your physician before beginning any supplement or regimen. Some statements, treatments or suggestions listed in this website have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This website and/or any of it's contents are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Read our full disclaimer HERE
Share your Story
Do you have a toxic mold story that you would like to share on SurvivingToxicMold.com? Send us your story and we will do our best to review it and post it to our "Real Stories" section. Stories "MUST BE" ready to be published and edited for spelling and grammatical errors. Please include plenty of photos as well to go along with your story. Not all stories wil be published. Stories that are not complete will not be published. SEND YOUR STORY HERE
Read Jennifer's Story
Read (Founder of Surviving Toxic Mold), Jennifer Cannon's full story of mold exposure, loss & hope for healing and a full recovery HERE
Contribute to this WEBSITE Has this website helped you? Are you looking for a way to give back and help support our mission to spread more awareness about the dangers of toxic mold? READ MORE & SUPPORT HERE