#
 
contact

Extreme Dangers of Using Bleach to Clean Toxic Mold

Do not use bleach to clean mold Surviving Toxic MoldThe question always arises at the first site of anything that looks like mold: Should I use bleach to clean mold?  Here are several reasons NOT to use bleach to clean mold!!!

When you combine bleach with certain mycotoxins, cleaning agents and VOC’s in the environment, (Volatile Organic Compounds), it will create neurotoxins and cancerous brain tumors.

Chlorine bleach (Also known as: Sodium hypochlorite is a chemical compound with the formula NaOCl. It is composed of a sodiumcation (Na + ) and a hypochlorite anion (ClO  ); it may also be viewed as the sodium salt of hypochlorous acid.) When dissolved in water it is commonly known as bleach or liquid bleach. has been classified as a hazardous chemical. It contains 5.25% sodium hypochlorite (NaOCl) and water.  It is way too dangerous for common use in homes yet you see all of the "Fluffy" commercials about a certain "brand" of bleach that Moms should wash all their laundry with. This is probably the worst case of dangerous marketing our society as ever seen. 

Chlorine reacts to VOC's already present in the environment you are using it in AND it creates even more VOC in a total load in that environment according to a study documented on the US National Libray of Medicine/National Institute of Health.  You can read the study here showing how using bleach (FOR ANY REASON) can be important in terms of inhalation exposure to carbon tetrachloride, chloroform and several other halogenated VOCs.  One of the most surprising results was the presence of carbon tetrachloride (a probable human carcinogen and a powerful greenhouse gas that was banned for household use by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration) in very high concentrations (up to 101 mg m(-3))

What are the Experts Saying?
 

  1. OSHA (Occupational Safety and Health Administration) is a federal agency that gives strong warnings against recommending the use of liquid Bleach for mold remediation or even cleaning any kind of mold/mildew.
  2. The EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) has since edited their “A brief guide to mold and moisture and your home” so that it now excludes their previously stated use of bleach as a remedy to kill mold.  In the EPA's new updated "Mold Course" online they specifically state that "Chlorine Bleach is NOT recommended" https://www.epa.gov/mold/mold-course-chapter-1 If these ruling agencies are making strong statements and retracting from previous advice given that tells us that they have used govt money to fund some pretty extensive laboratory studies.  Let these studies be a warning to us all.  NOT to use bleach around toxic mold.

It does not kill toxic mold but actually "grows mold" at a more rapid rate after application

Chlorine Bleach is designed to "rinse" or "wash away" bacterias, viruses and fungi on "non-porous" surfaces. (glass, metal, porcelain) Chlorine Bleach is "NOT" designed to "soak into".  Mold spores are like trees in that they spread their roots deep into porous surfaces or porous items.  (wood, wallboard, carpet, fabric, paper, bedding etc...)

Bleach is made of 94.75% water.  The chlorine stays on the surface and the rest of the 94.75% of the water goes into the porous holes and "waters" the toxic mold.  THIS is what "fuels" the mold to return with a rage.  The toxic mold will grow at a much faster rate now that you have essentially "watered" it.  Remember, toxic molds love moisture.

The surface may look very clean because you've "bleached" it (basically changed the color) and not killed the spores.  The water then gets into the roots via the porous material and the roots grow deeper, stronger and will return worse than ever before. 

NEVER USE BLEACH TO CLEAN MOLD

So what can I use?  See our article on ammonia here: 

Get Social With Us

 You can connect with others who have dealt with toxic mold or are still seeking information to help them fight the battle against toxic mold.  Follow us!

We have live discussions taking place everyday on our Facebook group.  Join us on our Facebook group by clicking on the Facebook button below.

Disclaimer

We are not doctors or licensed practitioners.  The advice or suggestions given in the entirety of this website are for informational purposes only.  Please consult your physician before beginning any supplement or regimen. Some statements, treatments or suggestions listed in this website have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration.  This website and/or any of it's contents are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Read our full disclaimer HERE

Share your Story

Do you have a toxic mold story that you would like to share on SurvivingToxicMold.com?  Send us your story and we will do our best to review it and post it to our "Real Stories" section.  Stories "MUST BE" ready to be published and edited for spelling and grammatical errors.  Please include plenty of photos as well to go along with your story.  Not all stories wil be published.  Stories that are not complete will not be published.

SEND YOUR STORY HERE

Read Jennifer's Story


Read (Founder of Surviving Toxic Mold), Jennifer Cannon's full story of mold exposure, loss & hope for healing and a full recovery HERE

Donate
Has this website helped you?  Are you looking for a way to give back and help support our mission to spread more awareness about the dangers of toxic mold?
READ MORE & DONATE HERE

 

All rights reserved © 2011-2018 Surviving Toxic Mold

Affiliate Disclosure       |      Sources