(As they apply to toxic mold exposure)
What you really need to know about antifungals:
What they are used for, Why they are used and How to use them effectively.
What are Antifungals used for? (In a toxic mold exposure situation)
The biggest misconception about antifungals is that people think they need to be used to kill off toxic mold. They might get instructions from a medical practitioner or get advice from others who have had toxic mold exposure. If you finally understand "What" they need to be taken for, then you can finally start putting pieces of the puzzle together and heal faster. Antifungals are NOT used to remove toxic mold from the body. Antifungals are used to destroy the yeast/fungus called Candida Albicans.
Candida is a fungus that is naturally found in our gut and it survives right along side of "good bacteria" but in very small amounts. You may have heard of probiotics or new products coming out supporting good intestinal or gut flora or health. This means that the ratio of good bacteria or "probiotics" and the ratio of bad fungi or "Candida Albicans" is balanced.
How do you know you have Candida?
Everyone exposed to toxic mold "NOW" has Candida. Some people think it's only if you have some obvious signs like you are foaming white from the mouth (teasing of course), but everyone needs to know the truth.
Why everyone with mold exposure has a SERIOUS Candida Albicans issue. When a person is exposed to toxic mold and their body does not get rid of it it is called "mycotoxicosis". This is when people start to get sick from being exposed to toxic mold.
When a person is now sick from being exposed to mold the good bacteria in the body or also known as the probiotics cannot compete with the new introduction of these "highly aggressive and territorial" toxic mold spores and mycotoxins. What then happens is that because there is now a shortage of good bacteria in the gut that throws off the "yin/yang" or perfect balance in the body then Candida Albicans begins to increase "EXTENSIVELY". This means that now a person not only has a toxic mold toxicity, but now also has a very aggressive Candida infection as well.
Ok so now that you know you automatically have Candida if you have mold exposure here are the most common symptoms? Symptoms of Candida can be many but here are some of the more common well-known Candida symptoms:
Here are 10 common candida symptoms
- Skin and nail fungal infections (athlete’s foot or toenail fungus)
- White/Whitish tongue. When tongue is scraped a white pussy film is present.
- Whitish mucous coming up from throat can be small amounts up to large amounts.
- Feeling tired, worn down, lack of energy or suffering from chronic fatigue or fibromyalgia
- Digestive issues such as stomach aches, bloating, constipation, or diarrhea
- Autoimmune disease such as Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, Rheumatoid arthritis, Ulcerative colitis, Lupus, Psoriasis, Scleroderma or Multiple sclerosis
- Difficulty concentrating, poor memory, lack of focus, ADD, ADHD and brain fog
- Skin ssues such as eczema, psoriasis, hives, and rashes (YES, this is Candida..and not some disease)
- Irritability, mood swings, anxiety, or depression
- Vaginal infections, urinary tract infections, rectal itching or vaginal itching
- Severe seasonal allergies or itchy ears inside or out
- Strong sugar and refined carbohydrate cravings. These can also include starch cravings such as potatoes, peas, breads and bread products or juices.
What are Antifungals used for? (In a toxic mold exposure situation)
Antifungals are used to destroy and kill the Candida infection so that the number of Candida in the body can now be balanced with the number of "good bacteria" or (probiotics) in the gut.
How do I use Antifungals properly? (In a toxic mold exposure situation)
Knowing this simple fact about Candida Albicans can be a life saver!!
Candida Albicans or (Candida) mutates & becomes resistant. It changes it's form just like some bacterias do toward antibiotics. Candida is what is known as the "smart fungi" because it becomes resistant and/or immune to whatever antifungal you are taking.
This is one of the main reasons Candida is so difficult to treat and why treatments usually fail.
The easy 3-remedy protocol for eliminating Candida issues naturally
(Incorporate all 3 daily for 6-8 weeks)
#1: Mold Detox Diet
(Phase 3 must be followed)
#2: Natural Antifungals:
See long list of choices below. Any of these are effective.
(Antifungals MUST be rotated every one to two weeks because Candida mutates)
#3: Good Probiotic (from 25 to 100 billion start small and increase. *Always take before bed.)
Click HERE to find the best probiotic for you
Ongoing use of a "safe" antifungal that is changed/rotated every 2 weeks
We do "ongoing" research of safe/anti-fungals and all natural proven antifungal remedies.
**IMPORTANT: Remember it is very important to take antifungals once or twice daily faithfully and make sure that you discontinue use of each antifungal and use a different one every 2 weeks because "Candida" (just like bacteria) can mutate and become resistent to antifungals usually between 2-3 weeks after taking them. If you switch to another antifungal every 2 weeks you are "outsmarting" the candida and "winning the battle!!" Here are a list of "natural and safe" antifungals to try:
Below is your shopping list of "natural antifungals"
(NOTE: Brands and Manufacturers "DO" matter when it comes to fighting Candida so I've included the highest quality supplements that were recommended to me by Functional Practitioners)
- Oregano Oil - Wild Oregano is one of the most powerful natural antifungals nature provides. Oregano oil is another excellent choice of antifungal to start your Candida treatment. I recommend the brand Oreganol because this brand is a non-GMO variety of Oregano. One danger of genetically modified foods that they have the potential to change DNA. People exposed to mold already have some level of DNA damage from the mycotoxin exposure so you'll want to avoid any and all supplements that are not labeled as non-GMO if you can.
- Garlic - Garlic Plus by Biotics Research is our pick for the best quality garlic supplement. Garlic is highly antifungal. A substance called Ajoene is one of the strongest agents found in garlic and is shown here in this study to be very effective against fighting Candida. (Study)
- Pau D'arco tea (Taheebo Tea aka Tabebuia) - Traditional Medicinals provides an organic version of Pau D'arco. The presence of naphtoquinones has been reported in several species of Tabebuia (Pau D'arco). It is known that naphtoquinones are biologically active against pathogenic fungi. Here you can see scientific data to support the antifungal effects of Pau D'arco. (Study)
- Grapefruit Seed Extract - extract from grapefruit seeds not only inactivates viruses, but also yeasts like Candida, other fungi and parasites. There is some controversy as to whether GSE is actually a natural product but when used in a Candida protocol like we have outlined you would only be using it for two weeks anyway. There have been no documented side effects of using GSE for two weeks or even two years so it is considered safe.
- Olive Leaf Extract - Oleuropein is the main medicinal substance of the olive and is extracted. It has strong anti-fungal, anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-parasitic properties. Gaia herbs is our choice for a pure olive leaf for the treatment of Candida Albicans.
- Colloidal Silver - In a study conducted by the Department of Microbiology at Kyungpook National University in Daegu, Korea, and published in the prestigious Journal of Microbiology and Biotechnology, proved what tens of thousands of colloidal silver users have already known for years, i.e., colloidal silver is one of the most powerful and effective natural anti-fungal agents in the world.
- Barberry - Barberry is an herb that contains a chemical called berberine and is lethal to candida. Berberine has been shown to inhibit the growth of bacteria in test tubes, and may help the immune system function better. In studies barberry was found to eradicate candida and yeast infections of the skin or vagina. (Study)
- Tanalbit - Tanalbit is an herb that ranks high for candida and yeast infection treatment. It also has a reputation for fighting some pretty bad bacteria. Plant tannins always rank pretty high for effectiveness. Caution: *I would not take Tanalbit if you are allergic to dairy, have leaky gut, SIBO or any other autoimmune gut disorders because it does contain casein which is an irritant to the stomach lining.
- Gymnema Sylvestre - Gymnema sylvestre is a tropical vine plant found in India, China
and Australia that is used to treat fungal pathogentic Candida albicans and Aspergillus. The leaves of this plant also attack biofilms created by Candida fungi. Other common benefits are weightloss, insulin regulation and more. http:// https://www.k-state.edu/media/newsreleases/jun13/vediyappan91213.html
- Oregon Grape Root - Oregon grape isn’t actually a grape. The berries of the plant just happen to resemble a grape. The berries are not the actual medicinal part of the plant but the root is what is used. The active chemical in oregon grape root is called berbamine which is an alkaloid. Berbamine is a strong antifungal and antimocrobial. It kills "dead" Candida Albicans and other yeasts. It is effective in killing Candida both internally and externally and has been shown to also help with eczema and psoriasis because these two "diagnosed" conditions are actually fungal in nature.
- Undecylenic acid - Thorne Research makes an excellent product called "Formula SF722" which is said to deliver six times the effectiveness of caprylic acid, however as always make sure you are only using this product for two weeks and then move on to the next antifungal in the group. This product is also recommended for women's vaginal support for health flora to avoid yeast infections.
- Aloe vera (inner leaf) - The inner leaf of aloe has been used for centuries to assist in fungal overgrowth in the gut. There are several very important things to remember. Most aloe products are made with citric acid (which is made from toxic molds). We have only found "ONE" product that meets all of the needs of those exposed to toxic mold and that is "Lakewood - Pure Aloe (inner leaf) Organic / no citric acid" All other aloe vera juices are not appropriate for the eradication of Candida.
- Cloves - Although most well known for antiparsitical activity, it has some fighting power against candida. In addition to having Candida most people also have parasites, so you can knock out two things in one. Starwest Botanicals (shown here) provides an Organic ground powder. You can put it in smoothies, sprinkle on salads, mix in water or lemon water and drink. Take twice per day.
- Candidate - Many have had great success with a product called Candidate. Candidate is a 100% natural and safe homeopathic mixture of herbs, proven to be effective. Promotes growth of healthy probiotic flora in the digestive tract and maintains natural balance of candida in the body. It is 100% natural safe and proven herbal formula.
It has a positive effect on intestinal health and functioning as well as known antifungal properties. Contains no artificial preservatives and no side effects. It is a non-addictive natural herbal remedy that safely promotes balanced and healthy levels of ph and bacteria in the body
- Caprylic Acid - Caprylic acid is one of the strongest and most effective natural yeast-fighting agents. It penetrates the cell membranes of candida yeast cells and causes them to die off, detoxifying the digestive tract and speeding up the healing process. This study shows that caprylic acid reduces symptoms associated with viral and fungal infections like Candida and Chlamydia.
- Phyto-Biotic - Phyto-Biotic is a product that was formulated to contain several herbs of the antifungal family. Phyto-Biotic supports the immune system by balancing intestinal flora in the digestive tract. Phyto-Biotic includes extracts of barberry, Oregon grape, and goldenseal - all excellent sources of a compound called bebeerine that is highly antifungal. Do not use this product immediately after taking either barberry, oregon grape or goldenseal to prevent resistance.
- Astralagus Herb - This popular Chinese herb is excellent for stimulating the immune system, essential for recovering from candida or any other infective condition.
- Black Seed Oil (organic and cold pressed)
Tea Trea Oil (Melaleuca) -All tea tree oil components, except beta-myrcene, had antifungal activity.
- Essential oils are in simpler terms "the blood of plants, roots, leaves and bark" that have therapeutic and healing properties. Each type of essential oil can have up to 20 different properties and health benefits. Like herbs, essential oils need to be respected because they can be very powerful and could be harmful if not used correctly. (This is where I come in. I can help you learn how to use them correctly and effectively. If you have basic education about using essential oils they can be both safe and VERY effecitve to achieve better health. (If you need help regarding where to purchase essential oils or how to use essential oils I am available anytime M-F to answer any of your questions. Simply use the CONTACT FORM on the website HERE and I will be in touch with you within 24 hours to set up a time to give you basic information that relates to mold and the usage of essential oils. Please allow 30 minutes for me to go over the basics.
Carrot extract - Carrot Juice
Purified ethanolic extracts of peeled and shredded carrots have an antimicrobial effect against a range of food-borne micro-organisms as well as Candida.
Essential oil of Ziziphora clinopodioides
Essential oil of Z. clinopodioides had significant antifungal activity (p < 0.05); It can be used as an antifungal agent in the food and medicinal industries.
Superficial mycoses of the skin are among the most common dermatological infections, and causative organisms include dermatophytic, yeasts, and non-dermatophytic filamentous fungi. The treatment is limited, for many reasons, and new drugs are necessary. Numerous essential oils have been tested for both in vitro and in vivo antifungal activity and some pose much potential as antifungal agents. Here is an evaluation of the antifungal activity of lemongrass oil and citral against yeasts of Candida species (Candida albicans, C. glabrata, C. krusei, C. parapsilosis and C. tropicalis). This study showed that lemongrass oil and citral have a potent in vitro activity against Candida spp.
- Essential oils are in simpler terms "the blood of plants, roots, leaves and bark" that have therapeutic and healing properties. Each type of essential oil can have up to 20 different properties and health benefits. Like herbs, essential oils need to be respected because they can be very powerful and could be harmful if not used correctly. (We can help you learn how to use them correctly and effectively. If you have basic education about using essential oils they can be both safe and VERY effecitve to achieve better health. (If you need help regarding where to purchase essential oils or how to use essential oils we are available anytime M-F to answer any of your questions. Simply use the CONTACT FORM on the website HERE and we'll be in touch with you within 24 hours to set up a time to give you basic information that relates to mold and the usage of essential oils. Please allow 30 minutes to go over the basics.
Essential oils are in simpler terms "the blood of plants, roots, leaves and bark" that have therapeutic and healing properties. Each type of essential oil can have up to 20 different properties and health benefits. Like herbs, essential oils need to be respected because they can be very powerful and could be harmful if not used correctly.