A Mold Recovery Blog
Thursday, May 03 2018
I have probably been asked a million times by so many people: "I'm cleaning up after my toxic mold situation, can I keep plastic toys, plastic bins or plastic this or that". I really do wish that for every time someone has brought up the topic I could be paid a $1.00 because I'd be a millionaire.
Breaking down the process of how plastic is made
Plastics are made from natural materials such as *cellulose, coal, natural gas, salt and crude oil through a polymerisation or polycondensation process. ... Crude oil is a complex mixture of thousands of compounds and needs to be processed before it can be used.
The dictionary definition of cellulose is:
"A polysaccharide (C6H10O5)n,of glucose units that constitutes the chief part of the cell walls of plants, occurs naturally in such fibrous products as cotton and kapok, and is the raw material of many manufactured goods (as paper, rayon, and cellophane)"3
This is where the controversy lies. From research, we know that Cellulose feeds mold and that most plastic processes contain Cellulose. We also know that Cellulose contains "GLUCOSE" which is the main fuel for toxic molds. (This is why after a mold exposure you should avoid sugars in your diet because they feed mold in your body - a little off subject but yes, it's related).
Another thing to consider is that because crude oil contains some nasty chemicals that "off gas" it's probably a good idea NOT to have plastic items around your home. The chemicals in plastic leach into the air and you breath the chemicals as well as soak them into your skin. Because you've been exposed to toxic mold your liver is already at it's maximum capacity for toxin control and you are putting you and your family at a higher risk by just "having" plastics around. If you need to keep plastic containers it's best to keep them in a storage facility or separate garage away from living areas so that you can give you and your family the best shot at recovering from toxic mold. (Please consider this when making decisions about what to keep).
Another substance that can neutralize mycotoxin are Essential Oils, but essential oils break down plastics so this is probably not going to be your best option. Although I have had some success using "Tea Tree Oil". TTO, doesn't seem to be an oil that breaks down plastic plus it kills toxic mold spore species AND is proven in scientific studies to neutralize mycotoxin.
My favorite brand to use is from Edens Garden. They carry 100% pure essential oils and their prices are awesome because you don't have to pay inflated pricing to pay a company representative who sells it. Edens Garden doesn't have any sales reps. You can get it HERE straight from the company's Amazon account directly.
Do you think you might have mold in your home, place of business or school? Are you or someone you love suffering from an unknown illness that doctors can't diagnose? Is mold making you sick? Go to our Step by Step and start Surviving Toxic Mold.